It's that time of year! My students love when I incorporate the holidays into our daily learning. Reading about different cultures and traditions is the perfect way to integrate the holiday spirit into your reading & social studies standards and bring cultural awareness to your students.
Students will travel around the world to six countries to learn what holiday they celebrate and their customs and traditions.*
• Mexico (Christmas)
• Germany (Christmas)
• Israel (Hanukkah)
• Sweden (Christmas)
• India (Diwali)
• United States (Christmas)
As students read about each country, they will record their learning in their "Suitcase of Knowledge." Each country has it's own page to record important information. When students have completed the page, they can get their "passport" stamped!
After reading about all six countries, students will:
• compare & contrast the traditions of two different countries (or they can compare a country's traditions to their own)
• describe what they learned about holidays through a "Can, Have, Are" chart
• write facts & opinions about the holidays
• write what they liked most about the different holidays discussed
*Not all the traditions discussed are celebrated by everyone in that country. These are some of the most common traditions for each country.