This activity pack contains 9 different activities that can be used for math and language arts centers. The holidays covered in this activity pack include Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Christmas, and Chinese New Year. Additionally, many of the activities have to do with winter more generally.
Here are the activities that you will find in this pack:
1. Kinara Word Families: Students write a word that contains a designated letter pattern on each candle of a Kwanzaa Kinara.
2. Snowballs: Students play a matching game to create winter compound words. Included are snowballs to cut up and a student answer sheet.
3. Winter Writing Prompts: Four winter prompts to get your students writing about holiday books, winter, building snowmen, and snow days.
1. Holiday Celebrations Logic Puzzle*: Students put their logic skills to the test as they use information from clues to figure out what holiday each of four children celebrates.
2. Lots of Latkes: Students must double and triple a recipe for latkes.
3. Holiday Greater Than, Less Than, or Equal to?*: First, students must solve riddles using their holiday knowledge to come up with correct numbers. Then, they compare sets of numbers using greater than, less then, or equal to.
4. Snowman Code Riddle*: Students complete addition problems that require them to carry. They then take the answers and assign them to a letter to solve a code. Finally, students use the code they have broken to fill in letters and solve a winter riddle.
5. Holiday Survey: Students brainstorm a survey question, collect data, and then graph their data in a bar graph.
6. Shopping for Holiday Presents: Students must choose a holiday gift from the store for each of four people on their list. But, they must take care not to spend more than their budget of $12.
* Answer key included.
In my own classroom, I use these activities as centers in my “Holidays and Traditions from Around the World” unit. Each of the activities could also stand alone for any purpose that you may see fit, as they do not build upon each other, but rather target a wide variety of skills.