This Holidays Around the World for Older Kids (3rd - 6th grades) in PRINT and DIGITAL for Google Classroom™ (and other platforms) is a great way to integrate reading strategies and social studies concepts while learning about other countries and their holidays during the month of December. Your students will stay engaged with passages, maps, flags, and scrapbook pages for the winter holidays of each of the 18 countries.
It contains: (Print and Digital)
18 Tradition Passages with Comprehension Questions
Country Maps with Map Skills Questions
World Map and Flag Pages (Includes "color" and "colour" versions)
Scrapbook Pages to Record Important Cultural Tradition Facts
2 Student Booklet Covers
Detailed Teacher Notes
Teacher Notes for Digital with LINKS
Materials for a Fun Trifold Country Research Project:
A Double Sided Trifold Research Report Template
Master List of Countries to Research
List of Suggested Websites for Research
Student Research Note Pages (3 of these)
Here are the Countries Covered:
7. India (Diwali Added 2020)
9. Israel (Hanukkah)
12. Mexico (Added 2017)
13. Saudi Arabia (Ramadan Added 2020)
14. South Africa
16. Sweden (St. Lucia's Added 2020)
17. United States (Added 2017)
18. United States - (Kwanzaa Added 2020)
Why you'll love this resource:
- Your students will enjoy learning about the traditions of other countries!
- It comes in print and digital for Google Classroom™ and can be used on many top educational platforms.
- It's an easy way to incorporate social studies with reading.
- There are more than enough materials here to use this EACH DAY in December!
- It's a huge time saver as everything is print and go and the paperless version is ZERO PREP!
- The Country Research Project gives students practice researching information and using technology to compile information.
- You can do the entire book for reading time or jigsaw the information (small groups read a certain country's information and then share out). If you are short on time but have parent help, you can run the different countries as centers where students learn about the countries at each center.
- If you're feeling especially ambitious, you can add art projects, music, artifacts to share (if you or the students have any), and food.
- It can be used in a number of ways, for guided reading, center times, as independent reading, and even as homework.
Want to try a sample country? Here’s a FREE print and digital mini-unit all about Italy!
Looking for more holiday resources? I really love this Christmas Literacy Set for 4th/5th Grades:
Here are some great winter-themed resources you might enjoy:
Finally, if you like my work, I would love for you to follow me by clicking on the green star at the top of the page.
Thanks so much!
©The Teacher Next Door™
Purchasing this product grants permission for use by one teacher in his or her own classroom or for one homeschool parent teaching his/her child. If you would like to share with others, please purchase additional licenses.
This resource may only be placed on a password-protected website for your students, like Google Classroom™. It may not be placed anywhere else on the internet, on a class or school website visible to the public, or on a district server. Please email me if you have any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org.