This packet is full of fun ways for students to engage in meaningful math lessons with a holiday twist. Students will find the area and perimeter of pre-cut pieces of wrapping paper and find the surface area and volume of wrapped gift boxes. You can even place a small treat inside the gift for students to open if they do their work to your standards :)
Students will also build a "snowman on a budget." By going through a short catalog of snowman necessities, students will spend $50 putting together the perfect snowman. They will then fill out a receipt for themselves, answer a few math questions regarding their budget, and finally, draw a picture of the snowman they built.
Finally, this packet includes a Super Stocking Sort that is a great addition to a holiday math center rotation or a small group activity. Students will sort the stockings based on the place value of the underlined digit.
Included in this packet:
* Place Value Stocking Sort title cards (7 - Thousands, Hundreds, Tens, Ones, Tenths, Hundredths, Thousandths)
* Place Value Stocking Sort number cards (56 - 8 for each title card)
* Snowman on a Budget (3 pgs - catalog, receipt, and drawing)
* Wrapping Paper Perimeter worksheet
* Santa's Surface Area worksheet
* Two pages of directions on general set-up/how-to
We love these activities in our fifth grade classroom. I hope you enjoy them as well!