A thoughtful selection of questions to guide a classroom through the wonderful story of "Homeless Bird" by Gloria Whelan. The questions have been hand crafted to strike a balance between guiding student understanding of the plot while also providing deeper thinking questions that expect students to provide claims/inferences as well as providing evidence to support their thinking.
✔11 Chapter Packets that ask students to...
- Use resources to determine the correct meaning of an unknown word in a literary text.
-Explain how an author develops the point of view of the narrator or speaker in a text.
-Analyze how a particular sentence, chapter, scene, or stanza fits into the overall structure of a text and contributes to the development of the theme, setting, or plot.
-Cite textual evidence to support analysis of what the text says explicitly as well as inferences drawn from the text.
✔ Chapter Pre-Read Vocabulary Powerpoint
- Help students understand the novel by visually teaching key vocabulary such as "Sari", "Charpoy", and "Ghee" at the start of each chapter
✔ Character Personality Chart
- Students are asked to identify character personality traits.
- Students are asked to provide evidence from the story to back up the traits selected.
✔ Personality Vs. Emotions Cheat Sheet
- Great for helping students differentiate between personality traits and emotions
✔ Elements of Story Graphic Organizer
- Helps students track plot, setting, character, conflict, solution and ultimately theme.
✔ KWL Chart
- Great for pre-reading
✔ Cause and Effect Organizer