Also included in
- This no-prep paper AND digital paperless bundle is all of the notes, labs, activities, practices, homework, projects, quizzes, and tests you need to teach an entire year of biology. Every major biology unit is covered and listed below. Everything is provided for two levels – CP and Honors. This$350.00$440.00Save $90.00
This product is designed to be an extension unit to cover homeostasis in further depth than is traditionally required in an introductory biology course. This mini-unit is a supplement or add-on that is designed to be used at the end of the year, after the 7 core biology units included in my Biology Full Year Curriculum bundle. It is perfect for digging deeper into homeostasis if you or your students are passionate about the topic, or if you need hands-on student-driven curriculum to use after state testing. Content covered includes: regulation and feedback mechanisms, cell signaling and communication, and an overview of human body systems and their interactions. This product includes notes, a packet of student handouts for all activities, and a free-response quiz to use as a summative assessment. The student packet comes in a paperless digital version that can be used in Google Drive™ and/or Microsoft OneDrive™. Note: The content in this mini-unit is not provided on differentiated levels for CP and Honors like the 7 core units.
This is an add-on mini-unit in my Biology Curriculum bundle. You can buy this unit for 20% off if you purchase as a part of my full year bundle. If you already own the bundle, go ahead and re-download in your “My Purchases” for the most up-to-date version!
*How is this resource distance learning compatible?*
This resource already comes with all of the student handouts in a packet format that can be used on paper (PDF to print) or digitally in a paperless version for Google Drive™ and/or Microsoft OneDrive™. All of the PowerPoint notes also come with a lecture video to help your students learn from afar. You can see all of my lecture videos on , and feel free to email me at email@example.com for a free sample of a paperless digital packet so you can see what the formatting and usability is like prior to purchasing so you can tell if it is a good fit for you and your students.
** I did not specifically write this unit for distance learning or homeschool settings, so you may not be able to use all of included resources (like labs or group projects) while teaching from home. However, the majority can still be used in a modified format, and all will be usable when we are one day back in our classrooms! If you have questions about which resources may or may not work from home, shoot me an email and we can discuss!
What content is covered in this unit?
- Feedback mechanism - positive and negative loops
- Cell communication - autocrine, paracrine, juxtacrine, and hormone signaling
- Signal transduction pathways
- Overview of human body systems, with specific focus on their interactions in order to maintain homeostasis
What Next Generation Science Standards* are covered?
- HS-LS1-2: Develop and use a model to illustrate the hierarchical organization of interacting systems that provide specific functions within multicellular organisms.
- HS-LS1-3. Plan and conduct an investigation to provide evidence that feedback mechanisms maintain homeostasis.
: If you aren’t sure how your state standards compare to the NGSS, shoot me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org with a PDF or link to your state standards for Biology and I will be happy to review them for you prior to you making a purchase!
What prior knowledge is necessary for students to have before using this mini-unit?
This is designed to be a supplemental mini-unit that serves as a more in-depth extension into homeostasis than is normally required in a Biology I course. Because of this, it expands on ideas learned previously in the year, and students will need to have background information on cells, at a minimum, to succeed in this unit. My students would have prior knowledge on all topics from the 7 core units in my full year biology curriculum. I also believe it is best used at the end of the year because it is very student-driven and research-based, requiring developed autonomy skills.
What is included?
I strongly encourage you to download the preview for this product. It is 15 pages and will give you the best idea of what all is included. In short:
- 15 pages of teacher implementation notes + editable unit plans (both 50-minute and 90-minute block pacing)
- A 27-page PDF packet of all student handouts for the entire mini-unit that includes:
- Unit outline with objectives and vocabulary terms for each concept covered for students to use to make their own study guides from
- Notes outlines for each of the three main concepts in Cornell Note format
- Inquiry Lab Investigation: Feedback Mechanisms
- Research and Report Activity: Regulation and Response
- Project: Cell Signaling Molecules
- Activity: Cell Communication Breakdown
- Project: Body System Interactions
- Access to ALL of the materials in the student packet in a digital paperless format that can be used in Google Drive™ and/or Microsoft OneDrive™
- 3 fully animated PowerPoints of notes (54 slides)
- Links to YouTube video lectures for each of the PowerPoint notes – perfect for absent students or flipped classrooms!
- Quiz for the summative assessment with 4 NGSS 3-dimensional free response questions
What is so great about the digital student packet that is included?
- You can go PAPERLESS in your classroom if you want – no more dreaded mornings at the copy machine!
- You still get all of the organization of my packet strategy, just now in digital format too!
- Students will be able to access their packet ANYWHERE. No more, “I forgot my binder so I couldn’t do (fill in the blank)”
- Students can print their filled in packets or an extra blank copy easily from home
- You can now have a mixed classroom with some students paperless and others not. You can also start with just doing a few units digitally and others on paper. Whatever works best for you and your students. The point here is that you now have OPTIONS!
- You have increased flexibility for students to easily learn and be connected outside the walls of your classroom.
- A built-in opportunity to help students grow in their digital literacy.
What types of files are included?
When you download this product you will receive a zip file with 5 folders of files. Most of the documents in this product are secured PDF’s, meaning you can print them but not copy/paste or edit the text. The paperless digital student packet will be accessed via a Google Drive™ link in a PDF file that students can type into but not change the essential content of. Editable versions are only included for the unit plans, quiz, and some aspects of the activities for you to customize for your classroom. The PowerPoint lecture notes also have editable text. This is to protect the copyright and intellectual property of my own work, plus the work of many dedicated clip artists that are included in this product. If you have questions about this, please don’t hesitate to email me with them!
Why use a “packet” instead of an interactive notebook?
I started creating packets for my students years ago, and I love them so much more than interactive notebooks. While interactive notebooks are great resources, I have found the packet strategy to be a more appropriate tool for using in the secondary classroom setting. I love using the packet for many reasons.
- I only have to make copies one time each unit instead of copying handouts every day. Even though it takes a while to copy the packets for each student, it saves so much time on the day to day. (Also the last few years I’ve recruited seniors to be my “Teacher’s Aide” and have trained them to copy all of my packets for me. I haven’t seen a copier in four years and it’s glorious!). Now you can go DIGITAL and PAPERLESS, never making any copies ever again!
- It puts responsibility back on the students to maintain their biology binder with their packet, while also aiding them in practicing organization skills. It has been incredibly effective for my lower level students. Even though it is a lot of papers at once, I can watch them put it in their binder and leave it there, rather than having to hang on to 100 individual papers passed out each day.
- It makes it so easy to be absent last minute. If you or your child gets sick, sub plans are a breeze. You don’t have to send your teacher neighbor to make copies for you – because your students have everything they need. You just have to tell the sub which pages the students need to work on.
- The structure is more suited to what students will be doing in college – and one of our goals as high school teachers should be to prepare our students for college. The packet helps students learn how to structure notes (I give students Cornell-style note outlines for each concept) which I have found helps provide scaffolding for them to be able to write notes all on their own in later high school years.
- Time saver in so many ways – no more time wasted regularly passing out handouts, or having to cut and paste things into a notebook.
- Students do a better job keeping up with returned graded work because every page is numbered so they can put graded assignments right back into the packet where it came from.
- You no longer need a filing cabinet – you can keep all of your curriculum and keys organized in binders!
Why should I use this product in my classroom?
This activity-based, student-driven mini-unit is the perfect resource to use at the end of the school year to expand on homeostasis, further than traditional standards would go. It can be used for the full 20 days that are detailed in the unit plan, or some of the activities can be cut out to shorten it to fit in that strange period of time after state testing before the end of the year. It is also unit that can easily be used to implement a flipped classroom, with students using the lecture videos to complete notes at home so class time can be maximized for all of the different activities and projects. This is designed to be used at the end of the school year where students have had a full year growing in autonomy and NGSS skills, but doesn't have to be if your students are ready.
Designing curriculum for an entire unit that is engaging, activity-based, and standard-aligned can be exhausting. I’ve spent over 5 years creating my biology curriculum and have had amazing results. I had a 96% pass rate on the State standardized End-of-Course exam for Non-Honors students and a 100% pass rate for honors students. This was at a South Carolina Public School with over 50% of the students being below the poverty line. My average score on the EOC (all 200+ students combined that I taught over 2 years) was a 90%. I believe this success is due to multiple factors, but I attribute a lot of it to the packet curriculum I have designed, and the fact that all of that all of my traditional tests are cumulative (which you would see in units that come with tests!) Honestly, I could go on and on about the packet as a resource and why I love it so much, but I think you will find as you use it that you will fall in love with it too. Last but not least, this product comes with links to video lectures for each set of notes. This resource + all of the detailed lesson plans makes this product perfect for teachers new to this subject, going on maternity leave for a long-term sub, or using a flipped classroom strategy.
Want something like this for a different unit?
I have made a more expanded version of this product for the core 7 high school biology units. More extension mini-units, like this one, are to come over the next few months. As of right now, you can but this product for any of the following biology units:
I also have created additional mini-units, like this one, on the following topics:
Or get all of the units above at a 20% discount if you buy the full year curriculum!
What if I have a question?
Email me at email@example.com I’d love to answer any questions you have!
How do I stay updated on new products, sales, blogposts, and freebies?
- Use this item for your own classroom, students, or for your own personal use.
- Buy additional licenses for others to use this product at a discount by visiting your TpT “My Purchases” page.
- Review this product to recommend others buy it in blog posts, at professional development workshops, or other venues as long as credit is given to my store with a direct link to my store/product.
- Upload this product to any unsecured website or server that other teachers can access for free.
- Give this product to others without the purchase of an additional license for them (this includes emailing, printing copies, or sharing through a website, cloud or other network.)
- Copy or modify any part of this document to offer others for free or for sale.
*: NGSS is a registered trademark of Achieve. Neither Achieve nor the lead states and partners that developed the Next Generation Science Standards were involved in the production of this product, and do not endorse it.