My goals for homework have always been to increase student learning and individual responsibility, but traditional homework never seemed to reach the students who needed these things the most. After years of fussing with boring packets and chasing down the same students who never did their work, I decided to reevaluate homework. Enter Choice Projects.
Student Choice Projects are valuable, fun, and simple to implement. I assign one Choice Project a month. First, students spend a week writing a detailed proposal, which needs approval by both parents and me. They work on their projects at home when they can, recording their time spent on a daily log. After it is due, they present their projects in front of the class, allowing students to practice and perfect their presentation skills throughout the year. Also, I am able to grade them right then and there on a simple rubric. The whole thing is fun and valuable for everyone and really easy for me!
This bundle includes everything you need for a month-long Choice Project. Additionally, you can simply recopy and reassign month after month, requiring students to select a different project each time.
With this download you will receive:
- An explanation and implementation guide.
- A Choice Project Homework packet with directions and requirements, a menu of nine project choices, and a short description for each choice.
- A Choice Project Proposal Template with prompts to support students in creating and planning their project.
- A Choice Project Work Log for students to record their accomplishments each time they work on their project.
- A Choice Project Evaluation Rubric
I hope that you will consider implementing Student Choice Projects as homework in your classroom. I have found that it increases participation in homework and allows kids to explore their personal interests, giving value to their ideas and promoting life-long learning.
These files are for your personal classroom use only. Thank you for directing those interested in this product to my TPT page!