About the Game
Who has seen the television show 30 Rock? Have you seen this clip from the show? It made me laugh so much and then I thought about making it into a game for the classroom. So here is the Homonym Card Game!!!
1. Students will be in a small group and shuffle the deck.
2. One student reads the homonym on the card. The other student must guess the word.
3. After three cards are drawn and guessed the roles switch. Some cards say Homonym Double Downs, which means they can guess a second time.
4. If a student gets the homonym correct, they keep the card. If a student gets the homonym incorrect, it must go into the discard pile.
5. When the deck is finished or time is up. The game is over. The student with the most cards wins.
When I have students play the game, we play it just like they see on the clip. It is just meant to be silly and fun. It’s okay to do that every now and then, right?
This is just meant to be fun and silly, but sometimes kids start thinking of homonyms to stump their friends. I also included a page of blank cards to make their own cards for the deck.