NOTE: This puzzle is meant to be used before students read the book. Also, since most answers consist of one word, students benefit from the use of a thesaurus rather than a dictionary.
This crossword contains 50 challenging words from HOOT. Either as a homework assignment or as an opportunity for students to work in pairs with a thesaurus in class, it's a great way to prepare students for reading the book and, thus, understanding the story. Note that the parts of speech are included to aid students in finding the exact answer.
Examples of clues:
* Intriguing (adj.) ANSWER: interesting
* Malicious (adj.) ANSWER: harmful
* Melodramatic: Showing too much ___ (adj.) ANSWER: emotion
* Fledglings: Baby ___ (n.) ANSWER: birds
* Reconnaissance (n.) ANSWER: spying
FYI: This puzzle includes the 25 Words to Know from the HOOT edition of BOOKMARKS PLUS, which students can refer to for definitions as they read the story as well as a list of main characters, author information, and more. See list below.
Also, to reinforce meaning even more, I have created a synonym/antonym crossword over the same 25 words. A great way to test students’ understanding of synonyms and antonyms. See list below.
USE ALL THREE PRODUCTS TO REINFORCE MEANING!
Here are my unique products over HOOT—view them in my store!
* Bookmarks Plus: HOOT edition—A Handy Little Reading Aid! Helps students keep track of main characters and provides definitions for new words—and so much more! A lot of helpful information at students’ fingertips! Students and teachers alike are delighted with these handy reading aids!
* HOOT: Synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword—Use with Bookmarks Plus! Use with Bookmarks Plus and the 50-word Prereading Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words! A unique crossword!
* HOOT: Prereading Vocabulary Crossword—Use with Bookmarks Plus! Helps prepare students for reading the book! Use with the Hoot edition of Bookmarks Plus and the Hoot Synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words!
Praise for BOOKMARKS PLUS from teachers of all levels:
My students LOVE these bookmarks. I have one for each of the 11 pieces of literature they read with me during the year. Not only does it keep their place, the bookmarks provide valuable information about each text, as well as helpful vocabulary that could be incorporated into assessments. I actually copy limited numbers of each in color and use as class incentives. My 10th graders LOVE to win contests to upgrade their bookmarks to color (way better than candy as a prize too). I cannot say enough positive things about these bookmarks! —Matthew R.
To say that my students loved these would be an understatement. They referred to them all the time, got really upset if their bookmark got misplaced, and said they were "the best thing you've ever given us..." (they are prone to slight exaggeration...but they were appreciative!)...Highly recommend!—H. S. English teacher
This was a great resource for the students. Not only can students use this as a reminder, students can use it to quiz other students or coach each other. Good idea! Thanks for your efforts.—Jennifer S.
Very handy for students who won't stop to look things up!—Denise S.
Give my products a try—you'll find them unique, fun, and challenging!
Word-Wise Language Arts Resources
—100s of unique products over most-taught literature!
Fun Teaching~Fun Learning!!