Note: This product is meant to be used after students read the book.
Students solve this puzzle by providing synonyms or antonyms for 25 vocabulary words from HOOT.
Examples of clues:
* An INQUISITIVE pair of bright amber eyes peeked up from the blackness. (syn.) ANSWER: curious
* He had a hunch that the CULPRIT (or culprits) intended something more serious than juvenile pranks. (___one; syn.) ANSWER: guilty
* All afternoon he’d been fretting about those ELUSIVE cottonmouth moccasins... (___ to catch; ant.) ANSWER: easy
* After a while, the squall began to SUBSIDE... (ant.) ANSWER: grow
A fun way to learn vocabulary!
NOTE: This puzzle contains the 25 Words to Know from HOOT edition of Bookmarks Plus.
Hoot edition of Bookmarks Plus—A Handy Little Reading Aid!
Also, these same 25 words are part of my HOOT 50-Word Prereading Vocabulary Puzzle.
Use all three to reinforce meaning!
* Bookmarks Plus: HOOT edition—A Handy Little Reading Aid! Helps students keep track of main characters and provides definitions for new words—and so much more! A lot of helpful information at students’ fingertips! Students and teachers alike are delighted with these handy reading aids!
* HOOT: Synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword—Use with Bookmarks Plus! Use with Bookmarks Plus and the 50-word Prereading Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words! A unique crossword!
* HOOT: Prereading Vocabulary Crossword—Use with Bookmarks Plus! Helps prepare students for reading the book! Use with the Hoot edition of Bookmarks Plus and the Hoot Synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words!
Praise for BOOKMARKS PLUS from teachers of all levels:
***My students LOVE these bookmarks. I have one for each of the 11 pieces of literature they read with me during the year. Not only does it keep their place, the bookmarks provide valuable information about each text, as well as helpful vocabulary that could be incorporated into assessments. I actually copy limited numbers of each in color and use as class incentives. My 10th graders LOVE to win contests to upgrade their bookmarks to color (way better than candy as a prize too). I cannot say enough positive things about these bookmarks! —Matthew R.***
***To say that my students loved these would be an understatement. They referred to them all the time, got really upset if their bookmark got misplaced, and said they were "the best thing you've ever given us..." (they are prone to slight exaggeration...but they were appreciative!)...Highly recommend!—H. S. English teacher***
***This was a great resource for the students. Not only can students use this as a reminder, students can use it to quiz other students or coach each other. Good idea! Thanks for your efforts.—Jennifer S.***
***Very handy for students who won't stop to look things up!—Denise S.***
Give my products a try—you'll find them unique, fun, and challenging!
Word-Wise Language Arts Resources
—100s of unique products over most-taught literature!
Fun Teaching~Fun Learning!