VIEWPOINTS: FDR VS. HOOVER: AMERICAN NEEDS A NEW DEAL 1932
DOES AMERICAN NEED A NEW DEAL?:
(Should the Government Intervene, or should Capitalism play itself out?)
Directions: Read the two articles on FDR and Herbert Hoover and outline their views. Finally decide whether or not you believe the government should intervene or not.
Background: Where they are from, political party, accomplishments (if mentioned)
FDR: America Needs a New Deal
1. What are the two ways of viewing the government’s duty in matters of social and economic life?
2. According to FDR, the party must be a liberal party that does what?
3. What are the problems he describes?
4. What result did the Stock market crash have on society?
5. What is the clear answer to the problem?
Taxes and Spending.
6. (Washington by the way, is not the President, it is the Government)What is FDR’s view on Taxes? What must be abolished? What must be done?
7. How will people get jobs? How will it be paid for?
8. What is one means of immediate relief he mentions? Why does he do this?
Aid to Agriculture.
9. What should be repealed?
10. How will the government help the farmers?
11. What does he say farmers will do in return?
12. Work and Security. What is the simple moral principal?
13. What do American people want according to FDR?
14. What does he say Republicans say?
15. What is the Federal Government’s responsibility?
16. A New Deal. What does FDR pledge?
VIEWPOINT 2: HOOVER HOOVER: ROOSEVELT’S NEW DEAL WOULD DESTORY AMERICA
1. What does Hoover oppose? Why?
The American System.
2. What is the American System a product of according to Hoover?
3. Why according to Hoover, is the freedom of the individual so important? What does it create?
4. What is the “new concept”?
5. What is the Greatest Function of government according to Hoover?
6. What is the Federal Reserve System, Federal Banks, Home Loan Banks, etc… giving to the American people?
7. What does the Expansion of the Federal Government Yield to , according to Hoover?
8. What evidence does Hoover give on the Democratic House of Representatives creating excessive spending?
9. What is the major point he wishes to make? Why?
10. Who is doing the wrong according to Hoover
11. At Pal Alto, what did Hoover say in his acceptance speech?
12. Summarize this paragraph.
Overall- Imagine you were alive during this election year. Then Complete the Reflection.
• Who would vote for Hoover? Why?
• Who would vote for FDR? Why?
• Who would you vote for? Why?
• Why are you against the other candidate?