This game includes several different sets of cards: CVC words, digraphs/blends, CVCe (onset-rime), and multi-syllable decodable words. This is a Word document, so you may change the words as you see fit for your students. This game can be played by one or multiple players.
Instructions for the game:
• basketball hoop (or trashcan)
• soft basketball (or wadded up paper)
• Cards printed off and cut apart
• Word list (to make your job easier)
• Something to keep score on
How to play:
1. Lay each of the cards for one word on the floor, starting the furthest from the goal and working your way toward it.
2. Student stands at the first sound, and says it out loud. Next, they hop to the second sound. Then to the final sound.
3. Once they have read each of the sounds, they must put the sounds together to say the word.
4. Students get one shot for reading the sounds, and one shot for reading the word. If they make either of those shots, they get one bonus throw. Each basket they make is worth one point.
5. Continue the game until all words in the set are used, when time runs out, or when students reach a certain score.