Help your students master “their”, “there”, and “they’re” while learning facts about animals such as porcupines, klller whales, and piranhas (oh, my!) with the set of task cards and printables. The 32 task cards, graphic reference sheet, and two-page assessment activity are the perfect tools to help you address language standards from the Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts.
Common Core Standards addressed –
• Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English grammar and usage when writing or speaking. (L.3.1, L.4.1, L.5.1)
• Correctly use frequently confused words (e.g., to, too, two; there, their) (L.4.1g)
• graphic reference sheet (full-color and grayscale)
• 32 task cards
• 2 answer sheets and keys
• two two-page activity sheets and scoring guides
Year after year, my students have trouble correctly using the homophones their, there, and they’re.
I designed these cards to provide repeated, yet engaging, practice with using these words. When working with the cards, students are asked to read a short informational passage and determine in which of three blanks a given word – their, there, and they’re
– belongs. All of the passages are about animals, with each set of 4 cards focusing on one given animal. I figured that if they were going to get some practice with homophones, they might as well learn some information about animals while they were at it!
The printables consist of a graphic reference sheet and a two-page activity sheet. The graphic reference sheet describes how to determine whether a given sentence requires the use of their, there, and they’re.
Before you have your students complete the cards, you can have them glue the reference sheet in their journals. Your kids can use the journal insert as a guide while they work on the cards, as well as when they complete other writing activities.
The provided activity sheet can be used to evaluate your students’ understanding of their, there, and they’re.
For more grammar practice, check out these ppt + printable sets available in my store:
Using Their, They’re, and There – PPT + Printables set
Using Articles A, An, & The Grammar PPT + Printables
Using Two, Too, & To Grammar PPT + Printables
Using Are & Our Grammar PPT + Printables
All four PPT + Printables sets are also available in one bundle at a discounted price –
Grammar Galore PPT + Printables bundle – using articles & homonyms
I hope your students enjoy these resources and are able to build their proficiency with these tricky homophones. – Dennis McDonald