This weeklong cross-curricular unit for the book Horrible Harry & the Holidaze by Suzy Klein is sure to engage readers while teaching them about a variety of customs and traditions associated with winter holidays around the world.
As a companion to this realistic fiction novel, the Horrible Harry & the Holidaze Novel Unit offers a great opportunity to teach winter holidays while building reading comprehension and vocabulary skills.
The book focuses on five key holidays:
- Three Kings Day
- and Lunar New Year
The daily trifolds are approachable and engaging to prevent overwhelm. Instead of spending hours on countless chapter questions, students are guided to the heart of the reading and spend time really understanding the text and social studies concepts.
Your download includes:
✔Daily reading comprehension activities, vocabulary, and holiday-related prompts available in a student-friendly trifold format aligned with the book Horrible Harry & the Holidaze
✔ Easy-to-follow directions for printing and prep
✔ Instructional planning guide
1) Student comprehension practice (up to 5 instructional days)
- Each day's work focuses on a single standards-based comprehension skill
- Short, written responses include opportunities to apply thinking to text
- Designed with reluctant and struggling learners in mind
- Built-in graphic organizers to support skill acquisition
- Approachable questions help make connections & start conversations
- No boring multiple-choice or fill-in-the-blank questions!
2) Approachable practice with key reading standards and skills including:
- Text analysis and author's purpose
- Exploring how character traits are modeled through action and dialogue
- Making inferences and drawing conclusions based on text clues
- Analyzing problems and solutions
- Generating a summary of key events
- Examining cause & effect relationships
- And so much more!
3) Connections to global traditions associated with winter holidays, including Christmas, Kwanzaa, Hanukkah, Three Kings Day, & Lunar New Year
- Text-based & holiday-related vocabulary
- Understanding where, when, and how each holiday is celebrated
- Connecting to geographical regions where the holiday is prominent
- and a short writing prompt related to the holidays included
4) Teacher support materials
- Unit scope & sequence lays out the day's comprehension & vocabulary focus
- Answer Keys for all comprehension activities
- Tips for preparation and implementation
© Rebecca Davies. All rights reserved by the author. These materials are intended for personal use by a single classroom only. Copying for more than one teacher, classroom, department, school, or school system is prohibited. For use in multiple classrooms, please purchase additional licenses. This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). Clipart and elements found in this PDF are copyrighted and cannot be extracted and used outside of this file without permission or license. See product file for clip art and font credits.