This download is a set of 6 hot air balloon labs. Students must make working hot air balloons with easy to find materials (plastic bags, small cups, hair dryer, cardboard, string, and tape.
Students complete the following labs:
- Pre-Lab Research on Hot Air Balloons and how they work
- Lab #1 Experimenting with a Working Design
- Lab #2 How High Can You Fly?
- Lab #3 How Long Can you Hover?
- Lab #4 Size Matters...How Small Can You Make It?
- Lab #5 Size Matters...How Big Can You Go?
- Lab #6 Race Day! How Far Can You Go?
These labs are a great way to try some inquiry science in your classroom! Students work in cooperative groups to complete the labs! They are always WOWED when they see the balloons fly!
(There are some links to websites provided to help guide you through the process!)