Engage your little scientists while exploring the effect of temperature on marshmallows and candy canes in hot cocoa. Students will practice their science and engineering practices skills by making predictions, planning investigations, making observations, analyzing data, drawing conclusions, and love every minute of it! Students will also be exposed to crosscutting concepts by looking for patterns when comparing melting marshmallows (and candy canes if you like) to melting snowmen. Finally, wrap up the fun by making an adorable hot cocoa-sipping puppet to have students teach what they've learned.
- Instructions and materials list
- Hot cocoa and marshmallows observation sheet
- Hot cocoa and candy canes observation sheet
- "Marshmallows Melt Like Snowmen" writing sheet
- "Melting Marshmallows" writing sheet
- "Sipping Hot Cocoa" puppet instructions and template
- Five different designs of hot cocoa mugs for students to choose!
NGSS Science and Engineering Practices Addressed:
- Asking Questions
- Planning Investigations
- Develop Models
- Analyze Data
- Construct Explanations
NGSS Crosscutting Concepts Addressed:
- Cause and Effect
- Scale Proportion and Quantity
- Energy and Matter
Enjoy the season!
All rights reserved. Purchase of this item entitles the purchaser the right to reproduce the pages for individual classroom use only. Duplication for an entire school, an entire school system or for commercial purposes is strictly forbidden without written permission from the author or additional license purchase.
Copyright © 2017 SCIENCEcerely, Me by Erin Hansen
Find my blog at www.SCIENCEcerelyme.com
and follow SCIENCEcerely, Me on Pinterest, Facebook,
and Instagram @SCIENCEcerely_me.