Included in this unit are exercises and activities that focus on the skills required to successfully perform Hot Cross Buns on recorder. This unit will guide students to practice more thoroughly and effectively, building on what simply playing the song would offer alone.
This unit also works well as a “centers” based lesson, lasting for several class meetings. This can allow the teacher time to assess and work with individual students, while other students are working independently on the unit activities. There are so many activities for students to work on that it is quite easy to create small groups that can work together or in partners. This keeps the recorder playing down to a minimum, while some activities require playing and others only writing.
Flash Cards (BAGE)
1. Students/Teacher Assessment and Reflection
2. Fingering Exercises (using the notes B A G)
3. Fill in the Blank fingering chart
4. Note Naming - worksheet (using the notes B A G)
5. Counting Practice - clapping and numbering the beats)
6. Buddy Check - a peer review activity
7. The Story of Hot Cross Buns
8. Summary Activity page