Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing. How to unzip files.
2.83 MB | 27 pages
This includes everything you need to incorporate the book Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford into a unit on World War II. The book allows for a wonderful look at how the war impacted families on the West Coast, including a window into the experiences of Japanese-Americans, Chinese-Americans, and African-American. Follow my plans as-is, or pick and choose the elements that make sense for your students. Note that this is not a complete unit on World War II--it focuses on how the book can complement the instruction that you are already doing.
Here is what you will find in this packet:
1) Essential Questions & sample unit schedule
2) Reading Review Chart: given to students to keep track of key ideas, characters, and events while reading.
3) World War II Bookmarks: used to review the causes of the war and then for students to mark their place in the text
4) War in Pacific Scavenger Hunt: activity emphasizing battles and strategies of the war in the Pacific. Includes map resource.
5) Document Analysis: Perceptions of Japanese
6) World War II Quiz
7) Poster Analysis Warm Up
8) Japanese Internment Is…Project and Rubric
9) Document Analysis: Chinese or Japanese (at the end of this document)
10) Reading Quiz
11) Writing Assessment: Freedoms During Wartime
• How does the experience of war promote freedom for some but limit it for others?
• How does a nation prepare for war and what are the effects on its citizens?
• How did World War II change international relations?