Help your students become responsible for all of the theme concepts that are focused in each story. This is used in an ELA Focus Folder in my classroom. Each theme contains multiple stories. Theme 4 covers Nights of the Pufflings, Seal Surfer and Two Days in May. This has 6 pages for each story. My students work on these as a whole group and then independently in literacy centers. This can be used as a portfolio and can be modifed to reach all learners. This is a complete Theme Focus packet to use with Houghton Mifflin Reading Series for Third Grade. The packet allows students to record and work on EACH of the focus skills for Theme 4. The preview is modified to only include a sample page for each theme focus. Each story or selection within the Theme 4 Focus includes the following:
1. Selection Title, Author, Illustrator and Genre
2. Comprehension Skill and Comprehension Strategy
3. Grammar Skill and Vocabulary Skill
5. Spelling Sort for phonics and spelling focus.
6. Key Vocabulary
7. Writing Focus written specifically to each selection.
This is a great standards based piece that could be used with a variety or teaching methods.
Please feel free to email with any questions.