This is a 2.5 page pdf file designed to meet Common Core Standard 7.G.1 :
Solve problems involving scale drawings of geometric figures, including computing actual lengths and areas from a scale drawing and reproducing a scale drawing at a different scale.
Page 1 is the student worksheet.
There is a house floor plan with a scale of 1 cm = 2.3 ft
These are the questions:
1. How long is the closet in the master bedroom?
2. Draw a queen size bed (60 in x 80 in) in the master bedroom.
3. Draw a twin size bed (39 in x 75 in) in bedroom #2.
4. Would a 50 inch flat screen TV fit between the windows in the living room?
5. Draw a rectangular table in the dining room. What are the dimensions of your table in inches?
6. A box of laminate flooring costs $68.64 and covers 20.25 sq ft. How many boxes must you buy and how much would it cost to put laminate flooring in the living room?
7. Carpet, padding, and installation cost $23.25 per sq yd. How much would it cost to carpet both bedrooms?
Page 2 is my typed answers to the questions
Page 3 has some possible extensions to the assignment. (and a plea for feedback!)
NOTE: This activity was specifically designed for Common Core standard 7.G.1, but it does NOT reference the standard or grade on the student paper. Some teachers have found this to be very challenging for 7th grade, but I believe it reflects the level of rigor for which we should aim. Measurements are made to the nearest .1 cm. Some classes may need some prior scaffolding.