Looking for a print-and-go, intercurricular resource to help students understand the use of BC/AD/BCE/CE and measuring time, as well as providing step-by-step practice with critical reading skills? "How Calendars Began" has all this, and more!
These four (4) well-organized, easy-to-use lessons begin with the selection "How Calendars Began" to teach about time measurement. The activities guide students through the many critical reading strategies necessary for understanding content-dense material.
The one-page selection, "How Calendars Began" provides an overview of how calendars evolved in different civilizations from 48 BC to present day. Students build reading comprehension skills, learn how to sequence dates (BC/AD/BCE/CE), and use and make simple timelines.
* Lesson 1, Vocabulary Comprehension~ reread, locate key words, use context clues, and infer.
* Lesson 2, Locating Details in the Text~ set reader purpose, skim, and locate key words.
* Lesson 3, Sequencing~ locate key words, set reader purpose, and adjust reading rate.
* Lesson 4, Read and Use a Timeline~ visualize, text connections, evaluate understanding, use date labels (BC/AD/BCE/CE).
* Post Test~ easy-to-grade, ten (10) question quiz for final assessment.
Lessons contain clear, step-by-step directions with sample answers or examples.
Students respond to text in a variety of ways: fill-in-the-blank, circling, boxing, T/F, short essay response, math computation, putting details in number order, and elimination.
Also incorporated on the student pages are special "Be a Learning Detective" activities that require a variety of responses-- drawing, writing, or doing math calculations. These activities directly relate to the content, reinforcing text-to-self connections.
All lesson activities are easy to check-- independently, in pairs, or whole class. Students can easily prepare for the final assessment, as well, by compiling and reviewing the lesson worksheets.
This resource includes:
* suggestions for instruction and grading,
* vocabulary activity,
* practice locating and using dates (BC/AD/BCE/CE),
* using and making a timeline,
* short essay response,
* Be a Learning Detective! activity for each lesson,
* post test, and
* easy-to-read, full-page answer keys.
BONUS: Also included is a supplement, "Teaching Challenging Reading Content Across the Curriculum," which contains 19 no-prep teaching strategies. Using these ideas you'll see how easy it is to adapt these lessons for use with whole-group, small group, student pairs, or independent student work.
Download and use this resource the same day! This resource makes the complex task of reading and understanding historical content easy-to-teach and easy for your students to learn.
You owe it to yourself to check out this resource!
Want to provide an introductory lesson or reinforce using timelines? You might also like this companion product:
Timelines Using BC and AD: Print-and-Go Introduction and Practice.
This resource is also part of a bundle. Check out Timeline and Calendar Bundle~ Print-and-Go!
Follow me on Lessons4Now Facebook
Follow me on Lessons4Now Pinterest
Follow me on Lessons4Now Blog
Thanks for stopping by to check out my products. If you like what you see and find it useful, PLEASE come back and leave me feedback. It would be greatly appreciated!