“How Full is Your Bucket (for kids)” by Tom Rath and Mary Reckmeyer is a great read aloud to share with students at the beginning of the year to set a positive tone for your classroom or any time students are ready to learn about empathy. Use our Text-Dependent Questions--aligned to the Common Core State Standards for Reading Literature 1, 2, 3, 4, and 7--to model close reading. “MAXimize” your read-aloud time with the included close reading worksheet and conclude with our team building Bucket-Filling Activity where students gift our pre-printed bucket-filler phrases to other children in the classroom and throw away bucket-emptying words!
Please note: The TDQs alone—without worksheets or activities--may be purchased as part of a set of five TDQs in our “Back to School Set #1” sold in our store on TpT.
Included in this packet:
• 1 Text-Dependent Question card; answers included for teacher reference
• 1 Close-reading worksheet and answer key
• Bucket Filler class activity
• Answer key may also be used for handwriting practice or for modified work
The Text-Dependent Questions…
• Cite the Common Core State Standards
• Include pair-sharing prompts
• Guide students back into the text
• Provide correct answers for teacher reference
The Close Reading Comprehension Worksheet…
• Directs students back to the text for answers
The Bucket-Filler Activity…
• Provides students with an opportunity to practice filling each other’s bucket with positive phrases