Students will read about the formation of the Earth, conditions on the Earth, and Earth's structure.
This reading also introduces seismic waves (p and s waves) as evidence for the existence of Earth's layers.
1)How long ago did our solar system start to form?
2) Summarize Earth's formation.
3) Describe how the Earth differentiated into layers.
4) Compare and contrast the speed of P-waves as they travel through a solid and a liquid.
5) Based on what you know about the structure of molecules in a solid and a liquid, use the diagram on page 5 to justify why S-waves would not be detected on the other side of the Earth.
6) How do seismologists use seismic waves to learn about Earth's interior?