Sometimes writing can be an overwhelming subject to teach! Throughout the past few years I've been working on this packet so that we focus on each section of the How To piece and we have resources all in one place while we work on the project. This has worked really well in my inclusion classroom. The structure helps my students keep ideas organized in one place and see examples throughout the process.
This 12-page packet includes:
1. Cover sheet
2. Topic selection sheet (gives ideas for students to choose from)
3. What is an introduction?
4. Writing your own introduction
5. Giving directions in proper order (cut out activity)
6. Using transition words in writing
7. Writing directions in paragraph form
8. Writing an effective conclusion
9. First draft organizer (gives hints for each section and refers back to earlier pages so students can work more independently)
10. Rubric for easy grading (broken down into focus, content, organization, style, and conventions. Includes kid-friendly descriptions of each domain)