Making your own snowflake from square pieces of paper are my students' favorite thing to do in the wintertime. This activity capitalizes on that interest and sneaks in some functional writing practice and use of transition/linking words.
Included in this packet is everything you need (minus the paper and scissors) to get this activity off the ground:
- 2 pages of instructions
- 3 pages to record beginning, middle and ending linking words- hang in your class for future reference
- a student sheet to record these words and keep in their writing folders for future reference
- a planning sheet to record the steps and the number in the process
- 2 publishing pages
- student rubric (smiley faces scale)
- teacher rubric (4,3,2,1 scale)
This activity aligns with the following 3rd Grade Common Core State Standards:
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.3.2 Write informative/explanatory texts to examine a topic and convey ideas and information clearly.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.3.2a Introduce a topic and group related information together; include illustrations when useful to aiding comprehension.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.3.2b Develop the topic with facts, definitions, and details.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.3.2c Use linking words and phrases (e.g., also, another, and, more,but) to connect ideas within categories of information.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.3.2d Provide a concluding statement or section.
For more information, check out my blog: 3rd Grade Thoughts
Thanks and enjoy!