This 20 page lesson includes everything needed to teach 5th-8th graders the art of argumentative essay writing. A scaffolded lesson about Colin Kaepernick's National Anthem current event issue is included!
1. Teacher Direction and Standards
2. Student Checklist for Writing Argumentative Essay
3. A Scaffolded Lesson on A Hot Topic: Is Colin Kaepernick abusing his First Amendment Rights?
4. Background Information on the Hot Topic
5. Step by Step Writing Template to Structure Essay
6. Blank Writing Template for Future Topics
7. Transition Word List
8. Interview Sheets for The Hot Topic and a Future Hot Topic
9. First Amendment Break Down
10. Writing Paper for Final Draft
I have used this lesson in 6th, 7th, and 8th grade, and my students loved it!