How We Rawwr! Read-In & Read-a-Thon Event Description
“How We RAWWR” is an example of how schools can celebrate the love for reading while promoting community citizenship.
The Read-In event invites children back to school from 6:00-7:30 (usually in their PJs!) to celebrate a night of reading. Students can rotate through three different reading centers, each 25 minutes long. All centers focus on literacy.
1. Center #1: technology based (ex. using Toontastic or Puppetpals to create and tell stories)
2. Center #2: hosts a guest reader and is read-aloud time
3. Center #3: a visit with a guest author or illustrator or quiet reading time, cuddled into cozy areas (such as bean bags or couches).
This event can be planned during Read Across America, or any time of the year. Tickets can be free or for a fee. If there is a nominal fee, proceeds can be collected and donated to a student-selected community cause, such as the town library or animal shelter.
Whether or not students attend this Read-In, all students can be invited to participate in the Read-a-Thon that is held simultaneously during this week. For the Read-a-Thon, students can seek monetary pledges for each minute (or book) they read during that week.
The purpose of the Read-In/Pledge-a-Thon is to continue to…
• Build a community of readers
• Promote wide reading
• Challenge students to read more and experience new genres
• Empower individual readers’ interests and preferences
• Build community relations
• Increase student understanding of their citizenship role and responsibility
The Read-In and Read-a-Thon align with Common Core and AASL Standards:
• Common Core Reading Anchor Standards:
o Read and comprehend complex literary and informational texts independently and proficiently.
o Integrate and evaluate content presented in diverse media and formats, including visually and quantitatively, as well as in words.
• AASL Standards
o Share knowledge and participate ethically and productively as members of our democratic society.
o Pursue personal and aesthetic growth.
This detailed unit includes a complete set of Read-In & Read-a-Thon resources and planning tools:
• Read-In Information and Sign-Up From
• Payment Receipt and Additional Instruction Form
• Read-a-Thon Information Form
• Pledge Form
• Read-a-Thon Collection REMINDER Form
• Pledge Form Collection DUE
TIME SAVER!!! These editable PDF form templates open in Adobe Reader or Acrobat and the text can be modified according to your needs.
I love followers!
Get the inside scoop on all store discounts, free products, and product launches. Just click the green “Follow Me” star under my store name on this page or click the green “Follow Me” star on our store homepage. All followers automatically receive 20% off new materials posted for the first 24 hours! It pays to follow me!!
Sprinkle a little pixie dust in your library today!
© Library Pixie Dust