GLOBAL 9, UNIT 3
THE MIDDLE AGES
: How did Charlemagne’s rule affect the spread of Christianity in Western Europe?
*I have met so many people who don’t teach Charlemagne, or teach him later in the unit. It’s so debated! I choose to teach Charlemagne before feudalism because it helps me establish the connection between Christianity and Western Europe. I scaffold on this by teaching feudalism using the Knight’s Code of Chivalry and their allegiance to Christianity. It also scaffolds for the Crusades in the next unit.
- ACTIVITY 1 — DO NOW — TEXT ANALYSIS: Students will read a text and answer questions. Can be completed in pairs.
- KEY TERMS ANALYZED: MIDDLE AGES, BYZANTINE EMPIRE, MANORS, “DARK” AGES
- ACTIVITY 2 — DOCUMENT ANALYSIS: Students will analyze documents and answer questions regarding the illiteracy of people in Western Europe as a result of people solely learning family trades to serve the manorial system. This document shines light on how Charlemagne sought to provide education through the Christian clergy.
- ACTIVITY 3 -- DOCUMENT ANALYSIS: Students will analyze documents to determine the appearance, clothes, and piety of Charlemagne to assess how he chose to rule and how Christianity drove him to rule.
- ACTIVITY 4 -- ASSESSMENT: Students will choose one of two options for assessment to submit on looseleaf.
- PowerPoint included with key terms. Counts as differentiation for visual learners with broken down definitions for students (or emerging ENL students) that need the extra reinforcement.
- ADDITIONAL ASSESSMENT: Students may answer the AIM using the R.A.C.E.S. format (FREE Download Here).