GLOBAL 9, UNIT 3
THE MIDDLE AGES
: How did Justinian and Theodora rule the Byzantine Empire?
- ACTIVITY 1 — DO NOW — CHART ACTIVITY: Students will complete a chart recalling how former civilizations and/or rulers they’ve studied gained, consolidated, and maintained power.
- ACTIVITY 2 — PRIMARY SOURCE ANALYSIS: Students will compare and contrast two contemporary sources to determine the type of ruler Justinian I of the Byzantine Empire was.
- ACTIVITY 3 -- PRIMARY SOURCE ANALYSIS: Students will analyze four scenarios to determine how they’d address each one. Then, they will assess Justinian’s Code to determine how Justinian and Theodora would address each scenario. Can be completed individually or in pairs.
- ACTIVITY 4 -- ASSESSMENT: Students will choose one of two options for assessment to submit on looseleaf.
- PowerPoint included with key terms. Counts as differentiation for visual learners with broken down definitions for students (or emerging ENL students) that need the extra reinforcement.
- Document Analysis: Students may analyze an additional primary source to identify three contributions Justinian made to the code of law in order to consolidate power in the Byzantine Empire.
- Page for Guided Notes
- Differentiation for ENL students.
- Differentiation for Special Ed. students.
- ADDITIONAL ASSESSMENT: Students may answer the AIM using the R.A.C.E.S. format (FREE Download Here).