GLOBAL 9, UNIT 3
THE MIDDLE AGES
: How did Mansa Musa use his wealth to spread and consolidate Islam in West Africa?
- ACTIVITY 1 — DO NOW — QUOTE ANALYSIS: Students will analyze a quote from the Spider-Man Comice and determine whether or not they agree with it.
- ACTIVITY 2 — RESEARCH ACTIVITY: Students will either follow the included PowerPoint, follow the teacher on Google using the class computer, or use their smartphones in pairs to determine the net worths of seven powerful and/or influential leaders, entertainers, and businesspeople, including Mansa Musa I of Mali. Students will then determine whether or not these people have a responsibility to use their power and/or wealth to serve the less fortunate.
- ACTIVITY 3 -- PRIMARY SOURCE ANALYSIS: Students will analyze a document by Shihab al-Umari, who encountered Mansa Musa on his pilgrimage to Mecca.
- ACTIVITY 4 -- VIDEO: Students will analyze a video to asses how Mansa Musa nurtured the growth of Islam in Africa. Link to YouTube video is provided.
- ACTIVITY 5 -- ASSESSMENT: Students will choose one of two options for assessment to submit on looseleaf.
- PowerPoint included with key terms. Counts as differentiation for visual learners with broken down definitions for students (or emerging ENL students) that need the extra reinforcement.
- ADDITIONAL ASSESSMENT: Students may answer the AIM using the R.A.C.E.S. format (FREE Download Here).