GLOBAL 9, UNIT 3
THE MIDDLE AGES
: How did geography affect the development of the Byzantine Empire?
- ACTIVITY 1 — DO NOW — MAP ANALYSIS: Students will analyze a map of the Byzantine Empire to determine the geographical significance of Constantinople.
- ACTIVITY 2 — PRIMARY SOURCE ANALYSIS: Students will analyze a contemporary excerpt from a text by Benjamin of Tudela, a traveler who visited Constantinople.
- ACTIVITY 3 -- DOCUMENT ANALYSIS: Students will analyze three documents to determine the Byzantine Empire’s history and government, economy, and religion.
- ACTIVITY 4 -- ASSESSMENT: Students will choose one of two options for assessment to submit on looseleaf.
- PowerPoint included with key terms. Counts as differentiation for visual learners with broken down definitions for students (or emerging ENL students) that need the extra reinforcement.
- ADDITIONAL ASSESSMENT: Students may answer the AIM using the R.A.C.E.S. format (FREE Download Here).