GLOBAL 9, UNIT 3
THE MIDDLE AGES
: How did the Abbasid Golden Age impact both Islamic culture and the modern world?
- ACTIVITY 1 — DO NOW — TEXT ANALYSIS: Students will read a text and answer questions. Can be completed in pairs.
- KEY TERMS ANALYZED: UMAYYAD CALIPHATE, ABBASID DYNASTY, ABBASID GOLDEN AGE/GOLDEN AGE OF ISLAM
- ACTIVITY 2 — PRIMARY SOURCE ANALYSIS: Students will analyze the Fihrist, a bibliography/inventory of books in a library during the Abbasid Golden Age, to determine the types of information that were readily available to people in Baghdad during this era.
- ACTIVITY 3 -- DOCUMENT ANALYSIS: Students will analyze three documents to determine the Abbasid Caliphate’s contributions and advancements in trade, mathematics, and art.
- ACTIVITY 4 -- ASSESSMENT: Students will choose one of two options for assessment to submit on looseleaf.
- PowerPoint included with key terms. Counts as differentiation for visual learners with broken down definitions for students (or emerging ENL students) that need the extra reinforcement.
- Video: Students will analyze a video to asses how the Abbasids advanced society and impacted healthcare and education. Link to YouTube video is included.
- Page for Guided Notes
- Differentiation for ENL students.
- Differentiation for Special Ed. students.
- ADDITIONAL ASSESSMENT: Students may answer the AIM using the R.A.C.E.S. format (FREE Download Here).