GLOBAL 9, UNIT 3
THE MIDDLE AGES
: How did the Pax Mongolica affect future societies?
- ACTIVITY 1 — DO NOW: Students will brainstorm to determine what a country needs in order to enjoy a time of peace and prosperity. Then, students may discuss in groups or as a class whether or not the US is currently in the middle of a Golden Age based on their analysis of Golden Ages so far.
- ACTIVITY 2 — DOCUMENT ANALYSIS: Students will analyze a document to determine the reasons Mongols began expanding in the first place. (I added this because students always ask why they needed so much land and why what they had wasn’t enough.)
- ACTIVITY 3 -- DOCUMENT ANALYSIS: Students will analyze a document to determine how cultural diffusion impacted the world thanks to the conquests of the Mongolian Empire.
- ACTIVITY 4 -- DOCUMENT ANALYSIS: Students will analyze a document about the Pax Mongolica and how it led to a Golden Age for the Mongols. Students should note that because of cultural diffusion, the Mongols had taken the advancements of the Islamic Caliphates, the Tang, and spread their innovation, technology, and culture around the world along the Silk Road. Ultimately, such advancements will lead to the rise of the Renaissance.
- ACTIVITY 5 -- ASSESSMENT: Students will choose one of two options for assessment to submit on looseleaf.
- PowerPoint included with key terms. Counts as differentiation for visual learners with broken down definitions for students (or emerging ENL students) that need the extra reinforcement.
- ADDITIONAL ASSESSMENT: Students may answer the AIM using the R.A.C.E.S. format (FREE Download Here).