GLOBAL 9, UNIT 3
THE MIDDLE AGES
: How did the Tang and Song Dynasties impact Chinese culture and innovation?
- ACTIVITY 1 — DO NOW — VIDEO: Students analyze the life and work of Jean-Michel Basquiat in a short video to determine how his art style was innovative and how it impacted the art world.
- ACTIVITY 2 — TEXT ANALYSIS: Students will read a text and answer questions. Can be completed in pairs.
- KEY TERMS ANALYZED: TANG DYNASTY, SONG DYNASTY
- ACTIVITY 3 -- DOCUMENT ANALYSIS: Students will analyze three documents to determine the Tang and Song Dynasties’ contributions and advancements in art, poetry, and innovative technology — which later would appear in Europe once the Mongols conquered China and spread its culture to Europe along the Silk Road.
- ACTIVITY 4 -- ASSESSMENT: Students will choose one of two options for assessment to submit on looseleaf.
- PowerPoint included with key terms. Counts as differentiation for visual learners with broken down definitions for students (or emerging ENL students) that need the extra reinforcement.
- ADDITIONAL ASSESSMENT: Students may answer the AIM using the R.A.C.E.S. format (FREE Download Here).