How the Barn Owl Lost Her Hoot is an original story designed to introduce some Cognitive Behavior Thinking / Therapy topics including:
• Diversity and being comfortable with differences
• Taking initiative to solve problems instead of complaining
• Perseverance in reaching goals
• Problem solving and looking outside of the box for solutions
• Conquering boredom
• Focusing energy on important aspects of life and shaking off the small stuff
This pack includes:
• Story spaced for students to illustrate
• Discussion questions
• Student illustration guide
This was originally designed to support positive behaviors and introduce replacement behaviors. Once the unit was taught, I would refer to excess complaining as "hooting" with my students. They instantly got the message.
Since this story is about owls, and contains facts and some scientific names, it could easily be used as a fictional literature piece to go along with an owl unit of study.