This two-day lesson plan immerses students in the fascinating world of social science where they will be able to develop the same critical thinking skills used by social scientists.
It will take them on a step-by-step journey where they will learn how to analyze primary source artifacts and create written generalizations, supporting them with evidence from the primary source.
It all starts on Day One when students analyze a modern artifact in groups. On Day Two, students work independently in their groups analyzing historical artifacts and creating a generalization about them. Students are then assessed after using their generalization to write a paragraph about their artifact and support it with evidence from the primary source.
This Lesson Plan Includes:
• Step-by-step instructions for the teacher;
• Student Handouts;
• List of modern artifacts that can be used for this lesson;
• 6 images of modern artifacts – student handouts;
• 7 images of ancient artifacts – student handouts;
• Writing Assessment Rubric.
Common Core Standards Addressed in This Lesson:
Key Ideas and Details: CCSS.ELA-Literacy .RH 6-8.1
Craft and Structure: CCSS.ELA-Literacy .RH 6-8.4
Integration of Knowledge: CCSS.ELA-Literacy .RH 6-8.7
Text Types and Purpose: CCSS.ELA-Literacy. W.6.1 and 6.1A
C3 Social Studies Standards Addressed in This Lesson:
Dimension 3 – Evaluating Sources and Using Evidence
• Gathering and Evaluating Sources.
• Developing Claims and Using Evidence.
• English Language Arts/Literacy Common Core Connections.
Take your students in a fascinating time travel journey while helping them develop and hone their critical thinking skills! Are you ready to begin?
21 with slides and handouts