Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
This Essential Guide presents a step-by-step method to reading poetry that will help make every one of your students a competent & confident poetry reader. Ultra-modern & visually stimulating, the powerful presentation is bursting with images & colour designed to show and reinforce poetry reading strategies & poetic concepts. A 1-page poetry reading guide handout is also included for students to use as reference.
What makes this guide ‘essential’? Fundamental components are covered, including:
• poetic devices: figurative language, sound devices, rhyme, tone
• language & diction, including denotation, connotation, syntax
• patterns & motifs
PLUS: an annotation system is presented; a brief overview of meter is included; and a detailed reference handout is provided. AND it’s packed with interactive examples, giving students essential opportunities to explore & practice new concepts.
This resource has 2 parts:
• Poetry Reading Guide Presentation: this interactive 31-page presentation offers an 11-step method to reading poetry in a 4-move framework that’s easy to retain. Move 1 covers pre-reading strategies; Move 2 deals with what to look for on a first reading; Move 3 delves into close reading strategies; and Move 4 is the final reflective step. Each of the 11 steps includes guiding questions or prompts designed to make every reader a competent & confident poetry enthusiast. The resource is interactive with plenty of engaging opportunities for students to practice & refine their poetry reading skills. Examples are from Walt Whitman and other American poets.
• Poetry Reading Guide Handout: a 1-page reading guide handout for students to use and keep as they delve into their poetic readings. The guide is designed according to the 4-move framework outlined in the presentation so students should be able to easily manoeuvre through all types of poetry.
• Poetry Reading Guide Presentation: a 31-page clickable pdf file
• Poetry Reading Guide Handout: a 1 page pdf file
Looking for more poetry resources? You might like...
★ BUNDLE "Song of the Open Road" Walt Whitman, 5-Day Poetry Mini-Unit
★ Poetic Terms: Classification Activity & Reference with Jeopardy Review Game
★ Rhyme & Meter in 5 Easy Steps: The Essential Guide
If you like this resource, click here to follow me... and get info about new products, monthly freebies, and more. I'd be thrilled to have you along!