Also included in
- Celebrate spring in the classroom with this set of unit plans for the entire month of April. With 20 days of engaging lesson plans, you and your students are all set for the entire month. This bundle includes four print-and-teach unit. Just download the units and get teaching! The units perfectl$25.99$31.96Save $5.97
- Ready to instantly engage students with fun, doodle-y, and challenging English Language Arts lessons?Then, this bundle of Doodle and Do resources is perfect for your classroom! It’s filled with 6 different units that will help your students…Write Responses with Text-Based EvidenceLearn about and pr$27.99$32.20Save $4.21
We tell our students to study for tests all the time, but often we forget to teach them HOW to actually study! That’s where this Study Skills resource comes in. It’s designed to give students practical tips and tricks for studying for tests in ELA or any class! With this resource students will complete fun doodle notes (or sketch notes) and then rotate through fun learning stations.
This Study Skills resource is designed to help students develop skills for studying for tests. First, students will complete highly engaging Doodle Notes about 3 Easy Ways to Study for Tests. Then, students will practice the study skills at 5 fun Learning Stations. They’ll practice giving their notes a refresh, developing acronyms, creating memorable rhymes, writing their own quizzes, and making a study skills bookmark filled with tips and tricks for preparing for exams. After designing doodle notes and practicing the studying techniques, students will have skills to help them study for their next test in ELA or any class!
About the “Doodle” Notes:
Students will learn 3 Easy Ways to Study for Tests along with tips for studying by completing a set of doodle notes. Doodle notes are color-it-in, fill-it-in, and doodle-encouraging note sheets. They’re not only visually engaging, they’re also effective in helping students increase their focus and ability to recall information. Plus…they’re really fun! In this resource, there are 2 options of Doodle Notes:
- All the notes are filled in. With this option students will color, embellish, and add doodles to the notes as you review the information with the class.
- Some of the notes are filled in and students need to fill in the remainder of the notes (like guided notes). Students will work to fill in the notes as you teach the content.
About the “Do” Activities
After students complete their Doodle Notes it’s time for them to “Do” some fun activities. Students will be rotating through 5 fun Learning Stations. The Learning Stations are designed to provide an engaging way for students to practice and master critical skills in small groups. Learning stations are extremely motivational since students are able to be in charge of their own learning. In addition, the differentiated activities meet the needs of individual students. These learning center activities help students to learn HOW to study while incorporating writing, reading, listening, and speaking activities.
Two versions of the Learning Stations are included:
- Each learning station activity includes a set of sample notes for students to use in order to practice the studying skill.
- Students will use their own notes from your class (and even notes for an upcoming test). Therefore, the tasks at each station instruct students how to use information from their current unit of study to practice the studying skills.
This detailed resource includes:
- Doodle and Do Resource Overview
- Lesson Plan for Doodle Notes (along with detailed tips for each study technique)
- Learning Stations Tips and Tricks
- Doodle Notes (2-pages) on 3 Easy Ways to Study for Test (2 versions)
- Detailed Stations Set-Up and Task Guide for Teachers
- Learning Station Cards (5)
- Learning Station Sample Notes (Understanding Fiction, Capitalization of Names and Titles of Persons, Strategies for Reading Poetry, Determining Author’s Purpose)
- Learning Station Task Worksheets (Give notes a refresh, Create a memorable rhyme, Develop acronyms, Make your own quiz, Design a study skills bookmark)
- Alternate version of the Task Worksheets in case students will be using notes from the classroom instead of the sample notes
Check this out!
This resource can be taught alone or as an integrated study across subjects!
The teacher-authors from Brain Waves Instruction, Math Giraffe, Kate’s Classroom Café, and History Gal have teamed up to create engaging, rigorous, and interactive integrated units that can be easily implemented in middle school classrooms. We call them SPIRAL STUDIES.
Following is Fun!
Get the inside scoop on all store discounts, free products, and product launches. Get the inside scoop on all store discounts, free products, and product launches. Just click the green “Follow Me” star under my store name on this page or click the green “Follow Me” star on my store homepage.
Let’s Stay in Touch!
Brain Waves Instruction
Doodle notes is a trademarked term used with permission. Please visit doodlenotes.org for more information.