This lesson gives students practice creating parenthetical citations using the MLA format. Additionally, students will practice selecting quotes, summarizing information and using both quoted and summarized materials in original paragraphs.
Students will have the opportunity to use ellipsis and brackets when selecting quotes to use in a piece of writing.
In order for students to understand why they must cite their sources and use in-text citation, they also need to understand what plagiarism is and what is meant by “academic honesty.” This lesson begins with a brief overview of those two issues.
This resource includes materials that will help students:
• define plagiarism and determine how to identify and avoid it
• understand what parenthetical citation is
• understand when to use ellipsis and brackets when quoting materials
• practice citing sources with the correct parenthetical citations for direct quotes and summaries
• practice using parenthetical citation for a variety of reference sources – including web and print resources
• practice introducing quotes
• assess samples for plagiarism and correct formatting
• determine important quotes from an article
• summarize two articles and check for plagiarism
• collaborate with peers in evaluating summaries
• create an original paragraph using summarized material
• create an original paragraph using quotes
• self-assess competency in this unit of study
All “reference materials” used in this lesson are original fictional articles, quotes, and persons that I have invented.
The skills in this unit are taught using the Eighth Edition of the MLA.
Daily lesson plans, Answer key, Extension Activities, and Rubric included
This lesson works well with:
How to Create a Works Cited Page: Step-by-Step Help for Students
Save $$ by purchasing both resources!
Bundle: Creating a Works Cited Page & Parenthetical Citation
You may also be interested in the "cheat sheet" one-page resources:
MLA "Cheat Sheet" Foldable Resource for Works Cited
MLA "Cheat Sheet" Foldable Resource for Parenthetical Citation
I would love to have you follow my store! Just click on the green star next to my store name, and you'll be the first to learn about new freebies, products, and sales.
I read and respond to all feedback, so please be sure to come back and rate this resource. If you have any questions, find errors, or need help, send me a note through the Q&A below. I'll get right back to you!