This is our Complete Step-by-Step Guide that teaches you how to effectively teach literary analysis writing in your middle school classroom! This guide includes over 230 pages of quality content that will strengthen your ELA program in a multitude of ways!
PLEASE VIEW THE PREVIEW TO GET AN IDEA OF EVERYTHING THAT'S INCLUDED!
This reading and writing guide was created to help teachers like you strengthen your current reading and writing program AND create your OWN curriculum and novel units for your classroom!
This resource consists of Four Units and a Bonus Section (which is filled with incredible reading and writing activities, ideas, and resources you can utilize in your classroom right away). The entire resource is outlined below as well as in the preview file.
Using these reading and writing activities, handouts, rubrics, and graphic organizers in your classroom will help you integrate your Language Arts curriculum, and you'll also have the knowledge to CREATE YOUR OWN novel units for your classroom (don't worry, we provide you with everything you need!).
UNIT ONE: Introduction to Evidence-Based Writing
- What is Evidence-Based Writing?
- Practice Writing Your Own Response to Literature
- Teacher Sample Responses to Literature
- Importance of Rubrics
- Providing Timely Feedback + Student Reflections
- Extra Practice
UNIT TWO: Teaching Evidence-Based Writing in Your Classroom
- Define Evidence-Based Writing Terms
- TAG + Summary
- Practice Writing an Introduction
- Body Paragraphs
- The Dreaded Conclusion
- Putting It All Together: Response to Literature Practice
UNIT THREE: Mini Lessons for Evidence-Based Writing
- Connecting TAG/Hook + Summary
- Teaching Transitions
- Expanding Sentences
- Introducing Quotes
- Finding the Right Evidence/Quotes
- Avoiding First + Second Person Personal Pronouns
- Implementing Stronger Vocabulary
UNIT FOUR: Create Your Own Units
- How to Create Essential Questions
- Utilizing the Evidence Tracker
- Incorporating Socratic Seminars
- Extra Practice Using Key Scenes + Mini-Responses to Literature
- Implementing Critical Thinking Questions in Your Handouts
- Sample Essential Questions for Novel Units
- Peer Editing
- Utilizing Close Reading Strategies (includes our Close Reading Strategies Bookmarks
- Extra Evidence Based Writing Activities:
- Reading Response Quilt
- Reading Response Task Cards
- Critical Thinking Task Cards
- Instagram Activity
- Reading Activity (Timeless Text Reflection)
- Character Connections Activity
- Claims vs. Statements Sort
- Double-Entry Journal
- Complete Response to Literature Graphic Organizer
- Evidence Tracker
** These additional resources are over a $35 value on their own! **
7-DAY LITERARY ANALYSIS WRITING BOOT CAMP
- This Boot Camp includes much of the same information that you will find in Units 1 and 2, but it is broken down for you into a 7-day boot camp instead. This does not contain ANY new content other than a Suggested Timeline for the 7-day boot camp. Enjoy!
- This 7-Day Literary Analysis Boot Camp
is also found in our TpT store.
**PLEASE NOTE: Our Claims + Evidence Activities for Literary Analysis Resource is also INCLUDED in this unit!**
Also, make sure to follow us to be notified when we upload new resources! We always do a special discount when we release a new resource, so it pays to follow us!