Step-by-step explanations with examples show how to teach students to translate word problems into algebra. Worksheets, activities, and quizzes are included. Common misunderstandings are identified and corrected..
Word problems require both right-brained and left-brained thinking and it is for this reason that I believe they are so difficult for many students. It is important to start at the very beginning to make sure that all students know the vocabulary and how to interpret the clues given in a word problem. I have had a lot of success with this method.
Please download the Preview file to see sample pages.
How to Teach Word Problems—part 1……..16 pages
• 6 pages listing the vocabulary and giving examples
• one page for each addition, subtraction, multiplication and division
• two pages for equality and inequality.
• 1 activity
• 2 warm-ups
• 1 single sided worksheet…2 versions & answer keys
• 1 quiz……2 versions & answer keys
• 1 double sided worksheet and answer key
Homework exercises may be assigned from the textbook.
Purchase of this product includes the right to reproduce copies for use with your students only. I hope that you find this helpful and would appreciate any feedback that you can offer. Patricia Wallace-Gomez