It's difficult teaching children how to write. (And all the teachers said, "Amen.") I have been teaching writing to 4th graders for 10 years, and each year I have used the same basic model, which is what I'm selling with this product. No longer will you hear, "I don't know what to write." My product breaks down the process of writing and explains exactly what to write in each paragraph of a narrative.
Here's what is included in this product:
1. A "Quick Start Guide for the Busy Teacher" page which explains what to copy and how to use the resource in your classroom.
2. Narrative Poster--a handy reference sheet for students to put in their writing notebook or binder.
3. Narrative Prompt & Tips--the prompt to which students will be writing and a list of 5 tips that will help them meet the criteria on the scoring rubric.
4. The How-To Guide--a 4-page, step-by-step guide that shows students examples of what to write in each paragraph and guides students to write on their own.
5. Narrative Writing Guide--a graphic organizer on which students write their rough drafts.
6. Exemplar--an example that you can share with students who are struggling.
7. Stationery--cute themed writing paper for students' final copies.
8. Narrative Rubric--a scoring rubric with 4 parts, aligned to Common Core / TNReady State Standards.
So, why buy Doctor J's Writing Resources? In the past, I have taught the 6-trait writing curriculum, Lucy Calkins Writing Workshop, and the SRSD model. I enjoyed using all of them, but still, my students always needed more direct writing instruction, specifically so they could write on-demand for standardized writing prompts. If this fits you--and this sounds like what your students need--I hope you will try out my resources!