How to Write an Essay - PowerPoint Presentation & Lesson
A PowerPoint presentation I give to all of my students (from grades 7 through to 12!) on how to write a standard five paragraph essay. The presentation goes through each of the individual features of an essay and gives tips and examples for students to work with and respond to.
This presentation covers the following topics:
** What is an essay?
- What is its purpose? What are the various strategies for writing an introduction? Examples of strategies.
** Thesis Statement
- What is a thesis statement? Where is it located? How to write a thesis statement? A number of examples.
** Body Paragraphs
- What are topic sentences? What do I need to include in my body paragraphs? How do I write an effective topic sentence?
- What is its purpose? What are some strategies when writing a conclusion?
** How to create an outline
- What kind of information should I include in an outline? How will an outline help me to write a more organized essay?
Please click here to access free sample essay introductions (to be used with this lesson).