This human body resource provides materials for students to create a Human Body Systems Lapbook
Designed with second through fifth graders in mind, this human body systems resource includes materials for students to use while conducting research about the human body's major systems, as well as materials for the presentation of their final writing piece, in a Human Body Lapbook.
To complete this project, students:
• read nonfiction text resources to research human body systems,
• complete a cut-n-paste concept web to group new information,
• use graphic organizers as prewriting tools to organize their writing,
• write informative text about the human body in five paragraphs, including an introduction paragraph, three body paragraphs, and a concluding paragraph, and
• create a human body lapbook as their final product, showcasing their research notes as well as their final written piece.
This could easily be adapted for use in lower grades, or with less able writers, where the expectation is a single informative paragraph.
Their research AND their final writing piece are creatively presented in a lapbook, with several options for assembly. Photos and clear directions are included.
Take a peek at the preview for a closer look at this product!
★★★ Get the lapbook, reading passages, a life-size human body model resource, and more
at a discount, in the Complete Human Body BUNDLE
. Click HERE
• simple, clear directions for lapbook assembly
• photos of sample finished product
• templates for all cutouts and foldables:
- Cover Page
- Body Systems Flip Booklets: pages to list the parts and function of each of seven body systems (digestive, nervous, circulatory, respiratory, skeletal, muscular, and excretory systems)
- Concept Map: a cut-n-paste web to help kids organize key information (structure & function) for each system
- Foldable with Flaps: A Trip Through the Digestive System
- Cutout: About the Researcher
- Cutout: Resources I Used for My Research
- Cutout: You Won't Believe THIS!
- Cutout: Ways to Stay Healthy
- Cutout: How Systems Work Together
• three graphic organizers for 5- to 8-paragraph informative writing with prompts for topic sentences and details allow for flexibility, depending on the systems you teach
• lined pages with title for finished writing piece
Several Common Core Standards can be addressed with this project, including:
Write informative/explanatory texts to examine a topic and convey ideas and information clearly.
Introduce a topic and group related information together; include illustrations when useful to aiding comprehension.
Develop the topic with facts, definitions, and details.
Provide a concluding statement or section.
Conduct short research projects that build knowledge about a topic.
Though reading standards are not specifically addressed in this project, the opportunity exists to address several Common Core Reading: Informational Text >> Grade 3
More Popular Lapbook Resources for Structured Writing:
STATE REPORTS Lapbook
HUMAN BODY Lapbook
ALL ABOUT ME Lapbook
END OF THE YEAR Lapbook