I created this newscast for my fifth grade class to research one system of the body, then present information as a group in a fun way. They really get into it! There is an anchorperson (or two), a weatherperson, a sports person, and someone who is on-location. All roles are modified to fit the subject matter, of course!
- An introduction page with news roles and sign-up
- A page for students to organize and collect their 3 facts
- A presentation checklist to practice
- A note-taking page for engagement during other presentations
- A rubric for presentation technique and participation
Each science textbook has a different collection of body systems presented, but I also supplemented for the other body systems (except the reproductive) so that the news teams could be 5 people each. I used YouTube, especially Bill Nye, to highlight some systems.
I put the class into groups at the beginning of the unit, then as we learn they can be focusing on their body system. Each person is responsible for three facts to present that they can collect from any reference. They practice presenting with their group using a checklist and get graded by a 10 point rubric.
Have fun, and stay classy.