Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
Engage your students with this fun and comprehensive, 145 page Human Body Systems Unit. It contains 7 original, nonfiction passages for the Respiratory System, the Circulatory System, the Digestive System, the Nervous System, the Skeletal System, and the Muscular System. It is fantastic for READING COMPREHENSION! This Human Body Systems Unit includes text dependent questions, research reports, vocabulary cards, essential questions and more!
This unit was created to use the CLOSE READING comprehension strategy to teach your students about the human body systems (not familiar with CLOSE reading? It’s okay, we have instructions and anchor charts to help you incorporate it into your teaching). There are text dependent questions aligned with each passage, a set of vocabulary cards with definitions to accompany each nonfiction text, and more! A variety of other graphic organizers and activities are included.
We do encourage you to supplement with any other books, videos, and websites that you already use; they will blend nicely with our CLOSE reading passages. You can use this unit in its entirety, or “pick and choose” the components to meet the needs of your students.
This unit contains the following elements:
Seven CLOSE reading nonfiction passages:
• Seven sets of vocabulary cards with definitions, one for each CLOSE reading
passage to scaffold and support vocabulary
• CLOSE Reading Instructions PowerPoint (or handout) explaining the steps of
• Anchor Charts for student annotation and Discussion Topics for CLOSE Reading
• Seven sets of “Text Dependent Questions”, one set for each CLOSE reading
• Common Core Essential Questions (these writing pieces can be put on your
writing wall to keep writing current and visible as you incorporate writing into
your science unit of study.)
• Cognitive Content Dictionary (to be made into a “book” for student vocabulary
words, definitions, and pictures.
• A Venn Diagram to Compare and Contrast KWL Chart ( you can use this at the
beginning of the unit to ascertain what they may already know about the human
• A Tree Map Graphic Organizer ( a grammar component for students to analyze
the words in the passages and their parts of speech)
• CLOZE worksheets (a fill-in the blank) worksheet and answer sheet to assess
vocabulary attainment and your students’ ability to utilize context clues. There
are seven worksheets and answer sheets included to match the seven close
Don't forget that leaving feedback earns you points toward FREE TPT purchases. I love that feedback!
If you like this product, please check back soon as we will be posting new products in the near future. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us and we will promptly help you. You can send us a “Question” through our store or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Teacher Team
Here are some other items you may be interested in:
Copyright 2015 The Teacher Team
All Rights Reserved by Author
Permission to copy for single classroom use only
Electronic distribution limited to single classroom use only.
Not for public display.