Our 145 page Human Body Systems Unit with passages and questions contains 7 original, nonfiction passages for the Respiratory System, the Circulatory System, the Digestive System, the Nervous System, the Skeletal System, and the Muscular System. It is fantastic for READING COMPREHENSION! This Human Body Systems Unit includes text dependent questions, research reports, vocabulary cards, essential questions and more!
This unit was created to use the CLOSE READING comprehension strategy to teach your students about the human body systems (not familiar with CLOSE reading? It’s okay, we have instructions and anchor charts to help you incorporate it into your teaching). There are text dependent questions
aligned with each passage, a set of vocabulary cards with definitions to accompany each nonfiction text, and more! A variety of other graphic organizers and activities are included.
We do encourage you to supplement with any other books, videos, and websites that you already use; they will blend nicely with our CLOSE reading passages. You can use this unit in its entirety, or “pick and choose” the components to meet the needs of your students.
This unit contains the following elements:
• Seven CLOSE reading nonfiction passages:
1. Introduction to The Human Body
2. The Respiratory System
3. The Circulatory System
4. The Digestive System
5. The Nervous System
6. The Skeletal System
7. The Muscular System
• Seven sets of vocabulary cards with definitions, one for each CLOSE reading passage to scaffold and support vocabulary
• CLOSE Reading Instructions PowerPoint (or handout) explaining the steps of CLOSE Reading
• Anchor Charts for student annotation and Discussion Topics for CLOSE Reading
• Seven sets of “Text Dependent Questions”, one set for each CLOSE reading passage
• Common Core Essential Questions (these writing pieces can be put on your writing wall to keep writing current and visible as you incorporate writing into your science unit of study.)
• Cognitive Content Dictionary (to be made into a “book” for student vocabulary words, definitions, and pictures.
• A Venn Diagram to Compare and Contrast
• KWL Chart ( you can use this at the beginning of the unit to ascertain what they may already know about the human body)
• A Tree Map Graphic Organizer ( a grammar component for students to analyze the words in the passages and their parts of speech)
• CLOZE worksheets (a fill-in the blank) worksheet and answer sheet to assess vocabulary attainment and your students’ ability to utilize context clues. There are seven worksheets and answer sheets included to match the seven close reading passages.
If you like this product, please check back soon as we will be posting new products in the near future. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us and we will promptly help you. You can send us a “Question” through our store or email us at email@example.com
The Teacher Team
Here are some other items you may be interested in:
Human Body Systems Google Drive Resource Interactive Unit For Google Classroom
Westward Expansion Research Report
Explorers and the Age of Exploration Research Report
Greek Mythology Mega-Bundle with Myths and Literacy Activities
California Gold Rush Unit - Close Reading - Text Dependent Questions
California Mission Unit ~ Close Reading ~ Text Dependent Questions
Earthquake Unit - Close Reading - Text Dependent Questions
Ecology Unit – Close Reading – Text Dependent Questions
State, President, and 13 Colonies Social Studies Bundle
Planets-Solar System Unit – Close Reading – Text Dependent Questions
Volcano Unit – Close Reading – Text Dependent Questions
Animal Unit - Close Reading - Text Dependent Questions
Plants Unit - Close Reading - Text Dependent Questions
Weather Unit - Close Reading - Text Dependent Questions
Earthquake – Volcano – Planet Research Report Bundle
Biography Report Packet for Elementary Grades
Autobiography Report Packet for Elementary Grades
President Report Packet
Country Report Packet
Copyright 2015 The Teacher Team
All Rights Reserved by Author
Permission to copy for single classroom use only
Electronic distribution limited to single classroom use only.
Not for public display.