This complete unit is a collection of my HUMAN BODY resources
found in my LIFE SCIENCE CURRICULUM - THE COMPLETE COURSE ~ 5E MODEL
and is now being offered as an individual unit for purchase.
– If you have purchased Nitty Gritty Science Bundles in the past, resources from this unit may be included. If so, please use the links above to add only what you need to complete your Human Body Unit or to see a preview of each resource.
This Human Body Unit covers the following systems:
• The Skin
• Muscular System
• Skeletal System
• Nervous System
• Digestive System
• Respiratory System
• Excretory System
• Cardiovascular System
• Endocrine and Reproductive System
The unit incorporates instructional strategies that give students the ability to master this scientific topic
and allows them to:
• Describe the functions and the structure of skin.
• Identify the types of muscles found in the body.
• Explain why skeletal muscles work in pairs.
• Identify the functions of the skeleton.
• Explain the role joints play in the body.
• Identify the functions of the nervous system.
• Describe the characteristics of bones and how to keep them strong.
• Describe the functions carried out in the digestive systems.
• Explain the roles of the mouth, esophagus, and stomach in digestion.
• Explain the roles of the small and large intestines in digestion.
• Identify the organs and key functions of the circulatory system.
• Relate the blood flow to heart anatomy.
• Identify the main components that make up blood.
• List the organs of the respiration system.
• Explain breathing and how its regulated.
• Explain the role kidneys play in waste disposal and water regulation.
• Identify organs of the excretory system.
• Describe how the structure of the kidney fits its function.
• Describe the human developmental process from a zygote to an embryo.
• Identify changes that take place in fetal development during pregnancy.
Nitty Gritty Science Units are based on the 5 E MODEL
and include the following resources:
• TEACHER-LED DEMO
that promotes inquiry, illuminates key concepts and, most importantly, leads to heightened curiosity.
• GUIDED INQUIRY LAB
that uses processes that are referred to as inquiry process skills
which include observing, predicting, classifying, measuring, inferring, controlling variables, manipulating materials, interpreting data and experimenting.
• SCIENCE INTERACTIVE NOTEBOOKS
use creative activities to motivate students to process information and demonstrate critical thinking.
• EDITABLE NOTES AND POWERPOINTS
prepared by Nitty Gritty Science save you time and help you with presenting a successful lecture. The notes
serve to guide students through the teacher’s presentation and are editable
so you, as the teacher, can adjust the information you want the students to fill in. The editable PowerPoint
helps the teacher present the content in an orderly fashion using visual aids to enhance the presentation.
• SCIENCE STATIONS
provide an engaging way for students to extend their knowledge and skills by working independently of the teacher
in small groups or pairs.
• TASK CARDS
are a collection of review cards to be used for review, such as game-style review, group review, one-on-one tutoring, bell ringers, exit slips, the list goes on.
• CHAPTER TESTS
prepared by Nitty Gritty Science use a variety of item formats that help assess different levels of student thinking and skills.
The items used in the tests include multiple-choice, completion, interpreting diagrams and essays. However, if more would like to be added, all tests are editable.
Cliff Note Version: Product is for ONE TEACHER – Please do not distribute illegally and if using with your students in an online capacity, make sure documents are password protected.
Copyright © Nitty Gritty Science, LLC. All rights reserved by author Dr. Erica Colón. This product is to be used by the original downloader only. Copying for more than one teacher, classroom, department, school, or school system is prohibited. This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). Clipart and elements found in this PDF are copyrighted and cannot be extracted and used outside of this file without permission or license. Intended for classroom and personal use ONLY.