Human Impact Lessons Investigation STEM Project MS-ESS3-3 MS-ESS3-4 HS-ESS3-4
What educators are saying
Also included in
- **CHECK OUT THE NEW UPDATES BELOW! This NGSS Next Generation Science Standards for Middle School Science Mega Bundle has all of my NGSS labs, lessons, activities, assessments, projects, stems, and other resources combined into one product (most of which have been or are being edited for distance leaPrice $299.99Original Price $443.75Save $143.76
- This NGSS bundle for Middle School Science is a bundle of all of my EARTH science/geology labs, lessons, worksheets, and activities combined into one product at a DISCOUNT! All resources are aligned to the new NGSS standards and are sure to fit perfectly into your earth science or geology units! ItPrice $59.00Original Price $77.25Save $18.25
- This NGSS projects and STEM bundle for Middle School science is a bundle of 7 projects/assessments combined into one product at a DISCOUNT! All resources are aligned to the new NGSS standards. These projects are sure to fit perfectly into your units as activities along the way or as assessments! ItPrice $23.00Original Price $31.50Save $8.50
- Grab this NGSS aligned bundle of HUMAN IMPACT on the environment resources (MS-ESS3-3, MS-ESS3-4, HS-ESS3-4 ! This PBL (problem-based learning) mini unit teaches students about the human impact on the environment and Earth’s natural resources as a result of overpopulation. This bundle includes BOTHPrice $9.00Original Price $12.00Save $3.00
If you’re looking for a little to no PREP, engaging and authentic learning mini-unit of lessons that is PBL (problem-based learning), uses evidence, and students about the human impact on the environment and Earth’s natural resources as a result of overpopulation, then this is the perfect investigation, project, or even assessment for you! So, “?” Download the preview to get an idea of what you're getting!
Need a digital interactive notebook version of this product? It is sold separately and can be found HERE! Check out this *****VIDEO PREVIEW ****** of the DIN!
Simply print or attach to Google Classroom as a PDF (or whatever platform you use!)
Check out the other home/distance learning products in my store!
Home and Distance Learning Resources
It is important for students to learn about human impact because it can have a negative effect on Earth and decrease sustainability. By involving students in gathering evidence online through aerial photos, data cards, and by tracking their own waste in 24 hours, students are inspired to become more aware of the use of our natural resources. Students then investigate one of several choices of human impacts such as fracking, ocean acidification, deforestation, etc., research and gather information, and design a solution to present.
"Will Humans Always Have Enough Resources to Survive on Earth?" This two-part unit takes one to two weeks’ time, it can be split into two separate activities if necessary, and it addresses the following NGSS Performance Expectations:
MS-ESS3-3. Apply scientific principles to design a method for monitoring and minimizing a human impact on the environment.
MS-ESS3-4. Construct an argument supported by evidence for how increases in human population and per capita consumption of natural resources impact Earth's systems.
MS-ETS1-1. Define the criteria and constraints of a design problem with sufficient precision to ensure a successful solution, taking into account relevant scientific principles and potential impacts on people and the natural environment that may limit possible solutions.
HS-ESS3-4. Evaluate or refine a technological solution that reduces impacts of human activities on natural systems
- Watch a short video clip on overpopulation
- Answer the unit question “Will humans always have enough resources to survive on Earth?”
- Gather 3 pieces of evidence (observe aerial photos, read info cards, and collect data on their own garbage waste)
- Reflect on the unit question
- Learn about DDT and the bald eagle
- Review project directions and choose one human impact (10 examples included such as fracking, deforestation, ocean acidification, etc. as well as a teacher’s choice and a “choose your own” option in case you have other ideas)
- Research their human impact and record notes on a detailed outline
- Brainstorm and design a solution
- Present to the class
- Complete Reflection
Through the scientific practices of observation, data collection and analysis, and problem solving, students explore human impacts on Earth and present a solution to minimize its effect. This project can be taught as is, split into separate parts, or used as part of an environmental studies unit.
Included in this resource:
- Student Pages with clear directions and graphics
- Key terms and definitions
- Data Tables
- Project Directions with 10 human impacts to choose from (plus 2 others)
- Detailed Outline for Notes
- Suggested Lesson Timeline
- Links to video clips, aerial photos, and impact cards
- Teacher Tips and Lesson Overview
- Rubric for Grading
- Reflection page
Science and Engineering Practices:
Constructing Explanations and Designing Solutions: Apply scientific principles to design an object, tool, process or system. (MS-ESS3-3, HS-ESS3-4))
Engaging In Argument from Evidence: Construct an oral and written argument supported by empirical evidence and scientific reasoning to support or refute an explanation or a model for a phenomenon or a solution to a problem. (MS-ESS3-4)
Cause and Effect - Relationships can be classified as causal or correlational, and correlation does not necessarily imply causation. (MS-ESS3-3) Cause and effect relationships may be used to predict phenomena in natural or designed systems. (MS-ESS3-4)
Stability and Change (HS-ESS3-4)
Looking for assessment resources for more NGSS standards? Check out my other Assessments here: NGSS Assessments and Test Questions
Follow my store at this link to stay up-to-date on my latest NGSS resources! Click here!
Are you on Facebook? Be sure to follow me on Facebook for NGSS FREEBIES, updates on what I’m working on, and of course, science memes! Professor Doubter's Facebook Page
Looking for other NGSS aligned Earth Science/Geology resources?
Synthetic and Natural Resources STEM Project
Erosion and Soil Conservation STEM Project
Scale Model of the Solar System Lab (FREE)
Looking for NGSS lessons, units, activities, etc.? Check out my store and the links below for more: Store Link.
STEM Challenges For Every Month
First Day of School STEM Name Tag Design
Buy the bundle and have access to all NGSS resources!
NGSS Physical Science Bundle: Click Here
NGSS Life Science Bundle: Click Here
NGSS Earth Science Bundle: Click Here
NGSS All Resources Bundle: Click Here
Don't forget to rate my product to earn TPT credits!! CHECK OUT MY NGSS LESSONS IN MY STORE AND BE SURE TO FOLLOW ME TO STAY UP-TO-DATE ON THE LATEST NGSS RESOURCES!!!