Hurricane Irma: Storm tracking, graphing and analyzing
Hurricane Irma: What is included:
• A table showing Hurricane Irma data for many days: date, time, latitude, longitude, wind speed, air pressure, and storm designation
• An Atlantic Basin hurricane map on which students can track the latitude and longitude of the storm through the Atlantic Ocean and Gulf of Mexico
• A bar graph to fill in for wind speeds
• A bar graph to fill in for air pressure
• The Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale
• A chart showing what upgrades or downgrades a storm system and how those factors apply to Irma
• A discussion of factors which influence meteorologists’ ability to forecast the paths of hurricanes
• Detailed instructions for teachers on how to use the data.
These plans are appropriate for fifth graders through middle graders.
Note: Data is complete through Monday, September 11, 2017.